Meeting Minutes 02/17
Food Services Meeting:
- We get our food from Sysco corporation (eggs from
New Jersey, milk from Queens, apples from , baked goods locally baked) Ithaca
- Getting food directly from local farmers is problematic because they have no insurance or backing.
- Contract for regular local meals
- Chefs in John Jay could be interested
- 13,000 on campus per day, 2,500 in John Jay.
- Spent $5.5 mil last year and estimating $6 mil this year.
- Nutritional info on food: portion size is a problem.
What do we want to propose to them?
- Local café? One place selling more local products. Good menu needs to be thought up, esp for winter.
- What do the labels mean, in J.J. – Sustainable, Organic, Local…
- What are the conditions in the places that supply our dairy and eggs?
- Local meal – good place to start. Biweekly local brunch.
- Harvest dinners in Ferris and Hewitt – who organized it? How?
- Wellwoman – perhaps work with them
- Tzedek/Va’ad wants to co-sponsor a farm trip and could fund it potentially.
- CSA for dorms?
To do list for next week:
- Do we have to go through Sysco? à get in touch with Margaret Hoffman (insurance issues)
- Talk to chefs – what can you serve for brunch this time of year?
- Look into the meat – is it humanely raised? Talk to other groups about altering the meat-buying practices of food services.
- Can we find out where the produce comes from? List from Jo
- U Penn is switching to local. NYU local/organic dining. Yale local farm relationship. à look into them as examples/ models.