Saturday, February 23
Friday, February 22
Massive Beef Recall
Another failure of the industrial meat industry
Bear in mind that the recalled beef is likely little different from the meat currently served at college campuses nationwide.
Wednesday, February 20
Meeting Minutes 02/17
Food Services Meeting:
- We get our food from Sysco corporation (eggs from
New Jersey, milk from Queens, apples from , baked goods locally baked) Ithaca
- Getting food directly from local farmers is problematic because they have no insurance or backing.
- Contract for regular local meals
- Chefs in John Jay could be interested
- 13,000 on campus per day, 2,500 in John Jay.
- Spent $5.5 mil last year and estimating $6 mil this year.
- Nutritional info on food: portion size is a problem.
What do we want to propose to them?
- Local café? One place selling more local products. Good menu needs to be thought up, esp for winter.
- What do the labels mean, in J.J. – Sustainable, Organic, Local…
- What are the conditions in the places that supply our dairy and eggs?
- Local meal – good place to start. Biweekly local brunch.
- Harvest dinners in Ferris and Hewitt – who organized it? How?
- Wellwoman – perhaps work with them
- Tzedek/Va’ad wants to co-sponsor a farm trip and could fund it potentially.
- CSA for dorms?
To do list for next week:
- Do we have to go through Sysco? à get in touch with Margaret Hoffman (insurance issues)
- Talk to chefs – what can you serve for brunch this time of year?
- Look into the meat – is it humanely raised? Talk to other groups about altering the meat-buying practices of food services.
- Can we find out where the produce comes from? List from Jo
- U Penn is switching to local. NYU local/organic dining. Yale local farm relationship. à look into them as examples/ models.